September 20, 2009

One Amazing Year, One Confusing Trip

Today is our 1 year anniversary... Can you believe it?! I can't believe how fast it went by. It is crazy how much things have changed, how much we've learned, how much we've grown, and how much more in love we are and will continue to be. Ray is so stinkin' cute and such an awesome husband... He pulled off a lot of surprises this weekend and made it so much fun!! Bear with me on this one, it will probably be kind of long.

The weekend started with a bouquet of sunflowers. He must have caught on to how much I like them by having to listen me talk about how fun all the sunflowers are up here every time we drive somewhere. I think at one point I actually said something like, "I would tell you that you should pick me some sunflowers, but please don't because they will have bugs all over them." So instead he had fresh, bug-free sunflowers sent right to our door. :)



Saturday started out like most of our weekends have since college football started… with a Michigan football game. Partway through the game Ray says, “Go get ready, we’re leaving at noon.” I was a tad bit confused but after a couple of questions I found out that were going to Salt Lake and that I needed to pack enough to stay overnight. I was really excited but didn’t have a clue what we were going to do once we got there.

Despite all my questions and my attempts to try to get him to say something that might give it away, I still had no idea what was going on when we hit Salt Lake. We stopped and ate at TGI Fridays, which was absolutely delicious, and then we hopped back in the car where I was told we had about another 40 minutes left to drive. Provo being the obvious destination at that point, but I had so many crazy ideas floating around in my head that I still couldn't formulate a reasonable thought of what it was that we were doing.

The drive to Provo was pretty eventful. Ray managed to convince me that we were going to Park City, that we were just going to stay at Matt and Annie’s house, that he didn’t have any plans and that we were probably just going to go to a movie... at one point he even had me convinced that my Mom had come up and that we were going to pick her up at a hotel. (I thought this one was a little strange considering that it was our anniversary, but I was excited nonetheless… you have no idea how convincing he is) You would think that after a year of marriage I would be able to tell whether he is being serious or not, but I can’t. We did, however, eventually make it to our destination which was Lavelle Edwards Stadium for the BYU vs. Florida State game. I actually prefer Utah over BYU and Ray obviously likes Michigan, but it was a big game and it was fun to be at. The stadium was PACKED! I seriously don’t think there was a single empty seat.

After the game Ray, once again, successfully convinced me that we didn’t really have a place to stay and that he just had me pack just-in-case we decided we wanted to stay somewhere. That was a little weird to me but I didn’t say anything because it didn’t really matter and the game was a lot of fun. So he asked me where I wanted to go to get some ice cream and we decided to stop at Maggie Moo’s in Salt Lake. After some really yummy ice cream, we jumped in the car and headed toward the freeway…. Or so I thought. I wasn’t really paying attention to where we were going but then we passed this building and Ray points to it and says, “Wow, what is that building? It looks like a church thing.” I didn’t really know what it was but he turned around to go look at it. I thought this was a little odd as well, Ray doesn’t usually do that. So we turned around and looked at the building and it wasn’t really anything special, but on the corner right next to it was this darling old house, so I said, “Wow! What is that?” At the same moment I noticed a sign that said Anniversary Inn and Ray turned into the parking lot. I was stoked! I couldn’t believe that he had found something like this all on his own. It was the cutest little place you’ve ever seen. It had around 10 suites in it, all with different themes. Our room was called the “Secret Garden” and it was SO cute!! They even brought breakfast to our room in the morning.








Ray did such a good job at making our anniversary special. It is my turn next year; hopefully I can make it just as fun. I love you Ray!! Happy Anniversary!

4 comments:

  1. How cute of Ray to plan that! I'm glad you guys had fun and got to get away. I have heard the Anniversary Inn is lots of fun. Lets plan something this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome! I bet that tickled your heart! : ) Happy Anniversary! Here's to another successful and happy year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute Dani! You guys should've come to see us!

    PS... We stayed at the Anniversery Inn on our wedding night (Jackson Hole room -- the bed was a covered wagon). Pretty special.

    WE LOVE YOU GUYS! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of fun! I have always wanted to stay at The Anniversary Inn! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete