So I had a pretty interesting night/morning the other day, and ended up needing emergency surgery. Here's how it went....
I have an IUD in so I get pretty bad cramps when I'm on my period, but on Christmas eve, a couple days before I was supposed to start, I had extremely bad cramps. Thinking it was just my stupid IUD, we decided we would just make an appointment so that I could go in an get it taken out. The cramps eventually subsided but were still kind of come-and-go over the next few days. Monday night, however, they got bad again, but this time it was worse than before. Once again attributing the pain to my IUD, we decided that we would go in first thing in the morning and have it taken out by a gynecologist. The cramps were so bad that Ray's dad gave me one of his pain killers for his back so that I could fall asleep. I was given the pill with the instructions not to get up by myself because it would probably make me really dizzy. About 3 o'clock in the morning the pain started to get worse.. I had a sharp pain in my leg and sharp pains in my stomach when I would breathe. Obviously not thinking, I went into the bathroom by myself and when I stood up to leave, I got extremely dizzy and passed out, banged my head on the tub and made a whole lot of noise in the process. Within seconds Ray was there waking me up and helping me back to bed. At about 6 a.m. I couldn't take it anymore so we got everything ready to go to the ER. Ray stood me up to try to help me get dressed and I passed out again, so he threw my robe on and Ray and his mom hauled butt to get me to the emergency room. Right away we told the doctor that it was my stupid IUD and I needed it taken out ASAP, but the Doctor quickly informed us that there is no way that I could be in this much pain from an IUD. Huh... so much for all that waiting we did... Anyways, after some blood tests and an ultrasound I was told that I had an ectopic pregnancy (this is when the baby starts to grow in the fallopian tube rather than the uterus) and that my fallopian tube had burst causing internal bleeding. Which was the reason for the sharp pains when I would breathe. I had also lost 1.5 liters of blood (25% of the total blood in my body) which is why I passed out both times. I'll tell you what though, it is definitely a bonus to have a mother-in-law who is the CNO (Chief Nursing Officer) because I got some serious special treatment. :) They bumped like 3 surgeries to get me in sooner and the afterwards the surgeon told my family that it was a very interesting surgery because they kept finding surprises. Overall, they took out one of my fallopian tubes, drained the blood from the internal bleeding, took out my IUD, and removed a cyst the size of a grapefruit from my ovary, the one on the good side. Yeah, not sure where that one was hiding... The surgery went really well and I immediately felt so much better then I did before! It has been a couple of days now and I feel almost as good as new.
I am so grateful that I have such an amazing husband.. he was right by my side the entire time waiting on me hand and foot. I seriously don't know what I would do without him. I am also grateful for my parents for rushing down to St. George so fast so they could be there with me, and for Ray's parents for comforting me the whole night and for dealing with all of my "medical emergencies". There was a lot of firsts for me with this whole ordeal, my first time passing out, getting surgery, being put under, getting stitches, and the list goes on. I am so glad that I have so many amazing people who helped make it so much easier for me. And thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello, and for the calls, texts, and all the yummy soup :)
WOW!!! We're glad your doing better!! That is scary!!
ReplyDeleteDani, holy smokes!! That is so crazy. I am glad you caught it when you did and that you are healing well! You guys are amazing! I will be praying for you! :)
ReplyDeleteDANI. this is leslie .and cade (in spirit. he doesn't really ever look at blogs.) i just found your blog. and i read this! i'm glad you are okay!! that is crazy. we're so glad you are okay.
ReplyDeletelove.
leslie (and cade)
ps tell me your email, so i can invite you to our bloggeroonie.
HOLY FLIP DANI!!! I am so glad you are okay! My gosh! I'm so glad you were staying with Ray's parents so Marie could get you in there.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are feeling better and hopefully we see you soon!
Dani, we were so worried about you and are so grateful you were in good hands as well. love you guys!
ReplyDelete